Hi, Homeschooling Friend! My Name is Cherelle!
I’m a homeschooling mom to three children who loves getting creative in my homeschooling and sharing my ideas along the way.
But, I’m not just your average homeschooling parent here to tell you what curriculums to buy, and then send you on your way.
I’m here to help spark imagination and root you on along this homeschooling journey.
And to me, this is important.
Why I chose to homeschool
You see, when I was in public school, I always struggled.
I had the hardest time fitting into the “one-size-fits-all” classroom mold.
My peers caught onto things that I didn’t, and I was forced to move on, even when I didn’t fully grasp concepts in class.
I was (and still am) a hands-on learner.
So sitting in the classroom and hearing a teacher talk and show us things on the board, did NOT work for my learning style. I just couldn’t get focused in that learning environment.
I became distracted, and my learning experience was viewed as dry and boring, and I loathed school.
It wasn’t until I did an internship, that my view on learning changed…
In high school, I had the opportunity to do an internship with our local art museum, by teaching art classes to elementary schools.
And that’s when fell in love with teaching children in a more unique way.
This is also when I learned that there were so many ways you can teach and learn, that went beyond the boring textbooks. Say what?!?
Add in a few years and some kids later, I knew right away that I wanted to homeschool my children.
And this was coming from someone who personally knew nothing about homeschooling.
All I knew was that I wanted my children to have a rich education, but not only that, I wanted them to actually enjoy their years of learning, rather than loathe it.
And it was up to me to help them with this!
From my experience, I’ve taken what I’ve learned, plus adding in even more learning over the years, and have transferred it over into our own family by homeschooling our children.
My Homeschooling Philosophy…
- To teach a rich and living education.
- Using your hands is okay, even better, when possible.
- Develop a love for the beauty and art that God has surrounded us within our lives, and in nature.
- Have an appreciation for learning, and know that simple concepts (take math for example) are happening all around us.
- Schooling and schoolwork aren’t strictly held down to what’s put on pen and paper. We are always learning and growing!
- And finally… to create years of education that’s long-lasting and goes beyond boring learning, by thinking outside the box, and getting creative.
Disclaimer: Don’t get me wrong when I say “school shouldn’t be boring”. There’s a time and place when things really are, just boring, especially if you’re not interested in the topic. I never enjoyed math, and still to this day, don’t always enjoy it, and find it rather boring most days. But you get what I’m saying!
Using real-world experiences and examples, fun hands-on projects, and bringing learning to life in creative ways is what I aim for.
Dry, boring, textbook work is what I want to steer away from (when fully possibly), and instead, provide a hands-on learning environment for my children, so they can truly grasp and enjoy their school studies.
If that’s also how you feel…
Then grab a drink and maybe some snacks, and have fun reading the posts here on Embracing Homeschool, as you gain inspiration from one creative mama, to another!
- Amazing Money-Saving Homeschool HacksLet’s face it, as homeschool parents, we like to find the best deals on all things homeschool for our child and children! Today I’m going to give you my most amazing money-saving homeschool hacks that you can start doing today! … Read More about Amazing Money-Saving Homeschool Hacks
- Creative Homeschool Yearbook Ideas to Start This YearWhether your child is in elementary school, middle school, or high school, creating a homeschool yearbook for your homeschooled student is a great way to capture the entire homeschool year for your child to look back on and remember for … Read More about Creative Homeschool Yearbook Ideas to Start This Year
- How to Catch Up in Homeschool FastHomeschooling is a rewarding, but sometimes challenging way to educate your children. And one of the challenging things some homeschooling families face is falling behind. To catch up in homeschool fast, try these 13 tips and get back on track! … Read More about How to Catch Up in Homeschool Fast
- Shadow Reading for Homeschool: What is it and Why you Should do itDo you have a homeschooler who struggles with reading, says they don’t like reading, or even a child who struggles reading out loud? By adding the concept of Shadow Reading to your homeschool routine, your child’s confidence and opinion with … Read More about Shadow Reading for Homeschool: What is it and Why you Should do it
- Hands-on and Sensory-Based Letter Practice Activities for Preschool and KindergartenersPracticing their letters is a skill all children will have to learn to master letter recognition. But what better way, than to practice their letters with a fun and unique alphabet activity? Today I’ll be sharing some great hands-on, sensory-filled … Read More about Hands-on and Sensory-Based Letter Practice Activities for Preschool and Kindergarteners
Random fun Facts about Cherelle
- Family- First and foremost, my first responsibility is to the God I serve. I am also a wife, mother, and event/wedding designer and decorator.
- Home Life- We live on a farm. We currently have 2 goats, 17 chickens, 4 ducks, 2 turkeys (but these are going to be holiday dinner), a jersey cow, and 2 pigs. Nope, our life isn’t busy one bit. Nope, not at all!🤣 You can read about them on my farmish blog.
- Weakness- Donuts. I can never say NO to the donuts! Even though I’m technically supposed to eat gluten-free, I still cannot say no to the donuts!🍩
- Favorite Colors- Leopard print, floral print, and black and white stripes. Yep, I’ve officially deemed them colors and use them everywhere!
- Favorite Books- I love vintage literature and books about finances and psychology. Little Women and Dave Ramsey’s books are some of my faves. I also love learning new things or expanding my learning with books and online courses.
- Favorite Food- Mexican! All the beans, and all the rice, plus baskets full of chips, please! Don’t forget the guac and queso, and I’m one happy girl!
- Personality- Extrovert. Fun (at least I think) and lively, with a tad bit of sarcasm (okay, maybe a lot of sarcasm), and a knack for over-talking (if you haven’t noticed by now, from this about me page).
- Favorite Hobbies- Decorating. Writing. Creating something and feeling accomplished after it’s done.
IF YOU WANT TO LEARN ALL ABOUT KEEPING YOUR HOMESCHOOL IDEAS, LESSONS, AND MORE ALL ORGANIZED IN ONE PLACE…
THEN YOU’LL LOVE MY DIGITAL HOMESCHOOL PLANNING SYSTEM THAT I GIVE AWAY FOR FREE.
Check out how I use Trello to plan out and keep our homeschool organized!
HAVE HOMESCHOOLING QUESTIONS?
I’m here to help you!
Send me a message by clicking right here!